Saturday, August 23, 2008

Kountdown to Kindergarten ended yesterday




So the big boy began kindergarten yesterday. After a one-day orientation on Thursday, he found out who his actual teacher and classmates are. Mom walked him home at 3 and heard all about it. By the time I got home at 4:30, he wouldn't say boo about it. Oh well. We are excited and will both get to stop by his classroom periodically during the year. It is about 20 yards from Mom's office and about 200 yards from mine. So nice to be so close.

As for little, he started at the Wonderful World of Learning on Friday. He'll go for half-days, then home with ayi (nanny) in the afternoon. His teacher seems very nice, energetic, fun. Soon he'll be hearing nothing but Chinese in class. Only 10 kids in class, and 2 of them are kids of nice people we know from SAS.

We have been quite busy of late, with work, fun and reading/watching Olympics with the boys taking up most of our time. And don't forget shopping! With the generous resettlement allowance school gives us, we have money to set up our kitchen, maybe get some nice beds made, find soy yogurt somewhere in Shanghai (we did!...at Carrefour). So each Saturday so far has seen us hitting one or more stores. We have bikes now, a toaster oven, blender, dishes, towels, you know, stuff a family needs if it is to eat, shower, be healthy, have fun. No luck finding baseball gear though.

Which I mention as a segue into announcing that I am the assistant coach of the SAS Eagles varsity baseball team. I know what you're thinking: Why not head coach? I'm excited, tryouts start tomorrow, and our China Cup tournament this year will be in Beijing. So I'll get to see the capital, the Olympic aftermath/hangover, and the fam is likely going to join us. 

So Go Eagles and check the blog starting in 2 weeks for score updates. I'll try to create a page within the blog just for baseball. We play on Saturdays, and several of our opponents are teams of Chinese men, like 40-year-old guys. How cool is that? The umpires speak only Chinese, I think, so we'll need our players to translate if there's a rhubarb or dustup of any sort.

What else is going on? On yeah, work. I finally got to meet my students. Half of them Thursday, half on Friday. Seem very nice and capable. I have 2 study halls, all ESOL sophomores. And I see those same 18 or so students in other periods, in their history class when I "push in." So I work with 3 other teachers, and see about 5-7 of my kids at a time in a given History course. I've got a US History since Civil War and 2 Modern World Historys, which is basically 20th Century blood and guts, plus le French Revolution (don't ask). I'll also man the high school's Writing Centre for a few periods a week, editing papers, etc. I'm reading The Crucible so that I know what I'm talking about. All 10th graders read it and have to (get to?) write a paper about it. Devils, sex and witches, so far so good in Act One.

I hate to stop, now that I have my blog mojo ("blojo"? mmm...no) working, but it IS 11:11 pm and the USA women are done whuppin' the Aussies, so it's bedtime. I'll be better about updating, and you faithful readers (all 4 of you) would really brighten our day if you'd fire off an email every now and then. My dad gets the prize for writing lately, and Larry wins for Skyping the most. If only that dang camera would work better...

Photo above is from 3 hours ago. 2 sweaty boys after partying at the annual welcome back to SAS barbecue. Lots of fun, best weather day since we've been here. Can't wait for it to cool off.

7 comments:

  1. I hope you're counting me in one of your blog readers!!! :-) I check quite often. So glad you're all getting settled! What a different life...tell the fams we all say hi! Keep on blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary,

    I have been enjoying your updates so far and loved the video! Please tell the family hello from BHS. Sounds like you are all having a wonderful time and I can't wait to hear more. Congrats on the coaching job -- now you fit all of the stereotypes of a "real" social studies teacher!
    Take care!

    Kim Barrett

    ReplyDelete
  3. blojo, that is awesome.... it's almost like having you here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fun to read! I check it every night. Have you been to Walmart yet? I want to know if the items sold there are made in the USA! (Kidding of course)Give the boys love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO EXCITED that you are coaching baseball!! COACH P!!

    Awesome! Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Gary,

    I've been enjoying the blog updates and I'm looking forward to an inside peek into coaching baseball, so don't stop at scores - get technical with us!

    Reading that you guys are shopping at carrefour in China is a 3-way world-clash for me.

    Glad to hear you guys are doing well & have good week.

    Denis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gary - I found Sarah through facebook and she put me on to your blog, or I should say the Pearlz family blog...I had to start back to catch up in the reading and what you all have been up to. It is most enjoyable to read and your redhead boyz are too cute....Loving the red hair...I have two of my own - do they have tempers to match?

    Love, Sarah

    ReplyDelete